The Engineering & Construction team span the entire life-cycle of each lagoon project from site origination, design feasibility, basis of design to inform the Environmental Impact Assessment and support the Planning Application, to conceptual design to inform the project procurement process, to detailed design to inform the final contracting terms with our supply chain, through the design and build delivery phase of construction and commissioning, then the 120 years operations phase and finally the decommissioning phase.
The Engineering & Construction team comprises Marine and Coastal Engineers, Civil and Structural Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical, Power Systems and Grid Engineers, Numerical Modellers, Construction Project Managers, Health, Safety and Wellbeing professionals, Project Governance and Controls professionals, Commercial and Procurement Managers, Asset Assurance experts and Asset Management and Operations & Maintenance Managers.
The team operates within a matrix structure so that the depth of experience across the team supports each of the tidal lagoon projects. This ensures that lessons learnt are captured from one project to the next.
As a project progresses towards the delivery phase, members of the team will be allocated into a dedicated Project Delivery Team, headed up by a Delivery Director. The Project Delivery Team structure will align with the project’s procurement and contracting strategy e.g. a single EPC wrap contract or a multi-contract arrangement with an EPC Management contractor between the Project Delivery Team and the Tier 1 suppliers or a multi-contract arrangement directly managed by the Project Delivery Team. In addition to utilisation of members of the Engineering & Construction Team, the Project Delivery Team will recruit key staff into it as it gears up for construction. As many of the key roles as possible will be filled by staff to capture the experience gained from delivering each project and to protect intellectual property.
Purpose of the role:
To lead and manage the Project Delivery Team for the Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon project. The Swansea Bay project is a first of a kind project and will be the pathfinder project for the pipeline of future tidal lagoon projects within the UK and across the world.
Safe and successful delivery of the project is critically important to unlock the future lagoons.
The estimated gross capital cost of Swansea Bay is c. £1.3 billion. The overall construction programme is maximum 5 years. As the Delivery Director you will lead a team of Engineers and Construction Project Managers within a matrix project organisation. The project team will be organised around the multi-contract procurement strategy which involves 4 main work packages, namely the Marine Works (Design & Build), the Powerhouse & Sluice Civil Structures (Design & Build), the Turbines, Generators and Mechanical & Electrical Balance of Plant (Design & Build) and the Ancillary Civil Works (Design & Build).
Your responsibility as Delivery Director for Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon will cover the engineering, procurement and contracting phase of the project to Financial Close, followed by the project management of the construction and commissioning phases of the project scope, to hand-over to Operations, in a Zero Harm H&S environment, on budget, on time and to the required quality and fitness for purpose.
Key responsibilities & accountabilities:
Key responsibilities are:
- Planning, preparation, resourcing, management and leadership of the Project Delivery Team
- Delivery of the project against all KPIs including H&S, wellbeing, consent compliance, environmental compliance, employer’s requirements and technical compliance, scope, planning, budget, quality and risks for all Delivery work packages and functions
- Leading by example on a Zero Harm H&S culture within the Client and Contractor organisations to drive the right behaviours and attitudes for H&S excellence
- Leading by example on a Zero Incident Environmental culture within the Client and Contractor organisations to drive the right behaviours and attitudes for Environmental excellence
- Development of Procurement and Contracting Strategies
- Responsible for development and implementation of the Project Execution Plan
- Responsible for a Construction Readiness Review as a Go/No Go stage gate before construction can proceed
- Responsible for implementation and compliant use of a Project Document Management System
- Production of written reports to the Director of Engineering & Construction and the Board
- Ensure that CDM Regulations 2015 requirements are implemented
- Review and approval of Project Delivery documents
- Ensure technical assurance through the Client’s Asset Assurance framework
- Development and implementation of a Lessons Learnt register and liaison with colleagues working on other lagoon projects to ensure lessons are learnt early enough to positively influence those projects
- Responsible for effective and compliant interface and risk management
- Maintain a good working relation with the Contractor, Consultants, internal and external stakeholders and local authorities
- Represent the project and the company in external facing engagement, particularly within the project’s local community
- Track the development of the supply chain for the project and provide input into wider strategic planning for supply chain engagement and development for the other lagoon projects
The Delivery Director will line manage the staff within the Project Delivery Team including Project Managers, Deputy/Assistant Project Managers, Project Engineers etc. Additionally, you will functionally manage a staff and external contract staff/consultants within the multi-functional matrix organisation.
Skills, capabilities & knowledge:
The successful candidates will be required to demonstrate that they have the following capabilities:
- Positive, passionate and striving for excellence
- Be an effective communicator; clear, concise and frequent – at all levels within an organisation
- Display interpersonal skills such as building and maintaining positive relationships
- Have the ability to build, shape, motivate and focus a team and to foster collaboration among team members
- Be flexible and have the willingness and ability to change in response to business needs
- Have knowledge of the company’s strategy and industry
- Have analytical skills to think through problems and decisions
- Be result-oriented, work efficiently and effectively
- Be delivery focused with a demonstrable track record in delivering major infrastructure construction projects
- A Project Director/Leader background in large value, major infrastructure development and construction projects, ideally with specific marine / tidal or equivalent experience
- A strong, proven technical and commercial ability to manage high value contracts up to Contract Award and through Execution to Hand-Over to Operations
- A proven ability to lead a multi-disciplinary Project Management & Construction Team
- A proven ability as a self-starter, with an ability to provide technical, construction, logistics and commercial leadership and decision making to the Project Delivery Team
- Excellent IT and communication skills including report writing, presentation and the ability to speak confidently with, consultants, contractors and stakeholders
- The ability to present to and negotiate with various stakeholders including technical and commercial negotiations with Suppliers and Contractors
- Ability to evaluate and communicate risks and propose and implement management and mitigation measures
- The ability to manage workload and meet demanding timescales on a number of aspects of the project simultaneously
- A current UK driving licence
Knowledge & skills:
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering discipline (Civil/Marine/Mechanical/Electrical) and significant experience in working in marine / hydro / tidal construction or similar project environments
- Leadership skills
- Management skills
- Conflict resolution
- Technical skills
- Significant knowledge and project experience in engineering, construction, commissioning and operations
- Strong technical, communication and creative skills
- Able to establish strong business and supplier relationships
- Team player capable of working flexibly, closely and cooperatively with colleagues across all aspects of the company’s business
- Experience in project managing consultants and suppliers/contractors to pre-agreed schedules and budgets
- Commercial awareness and negotiation skills
- The role will require significant travel within the UK and abroad
If you would like to apply for this role please send your CV with a one page covering letter and completed application form to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No agencies please.